Portia Parris Fellowship
Portia M. Parris Fellowship Youth Cohort
About the Program
The Portia M. Parris Fellowship (formerly known as NC LEAP) is a development and leadership cohort focused on Rockingham County youth enrolled in elementary and middle school. Since 2017, NC 100 has supported more than 180 students and families in Rockingham County through the NC LEAP program, in partnership with the Reidsville Teen Center and Hayes Taylor YMCA Achievers Program. Participants were offered opportunities of exposure to different career pathways, localities, cultures and experiences inside and outside of Rockingham County.
OUR FOUR MAIN PRINCIPLES
COMMUNITY :: Creating Healthy Relationships
CREATION :: Promoting Safe & Inclusive Spaces
COLLABORATION :: School + Family + Community
CONTRIBUTION :: NC 100 Commitment to the Youth
The Portia M. Parris Fellowship centers the experiences of Black and Latino/a/x communities into our current curriculum. We believe this will equip a generation of thinkers with opportunities that will cultivate & enrich their academic, leadership, and career development skills. Our mission is to empower and support youth through awareness and access leading them to self-defined success.
Am I Eligible
The Portia M. Parris Fellowship aims to provide positive youth development services to school- aged students in the following ways: (1) help improve academic performance (2) provide social enrichment experiences (3) jumpstart mental health awareness (4) offer opportunities for college readiness and career exploration.
The Portia M. Parris Fellowship will have open enrollment for new cohort participants every 2 years.
* Please note that spaces are limited for program participation. The selection process will be fair-minded and rely fully upon the information submitted in the application. A completed application must be submitted no later than September 29, 2023, to be considered for eligibility.
Applicant Eligibility Criteria:
The Parris Fellowship is open to students from groups that have been traditionally underrepresented – (Black/African American & Latino/a/x students). However, students who have demonstrated an interest in supporting diversity, equity and inclusion are eligible to participate as well.
To be eligible for consideration, students must
- Attend a public or charter school in Rockingham County
- Be a rising 3rd – 9th grader at the time of selection
- Be between the ages of 8 – 15 at the time of selection
- English proficient (reading, writing, speaking)
- B average or C average student
- Be open-minded, respectful to others and of other cultures, willing to learn, and be a team player
- Agree to participate regularly in outlined Parris Fellowship activities – missing no more than 4 activities in a calendar school year
- Provide a one-page essay or 1-2 minute video essay answering the following two questions: (1) “Who am I?” (2) What do you hope to gain from participating in the Portia M. Parris Fellowship?
- Please note that essay responses will be judged primarily based on content and not grammar or structure
- Provide (1) letter of recommendation in support of their application. Letter of recommendation should be written by either a current guidance counselor or a school administrator or a trusted community leader who is familiar with the applicant. Applicants should choose a letter of recommendation they believe will best support their application
- Provide (1) 2022-2023 Final Report Card
- Parent/Guardian: Agree to attend bi-monthly progress check meetings
- Parent/Guardian: Commit to providing 15 hours of volunteer services throughout the 2023-2024 academic year *can include chaperoning off-site field trips, providing snacks or meals for students, etc.*
The Portia M. Parris Fellowship is offered free of charge to participants
How to apply
- Visit our website at www.NC-100.org. The link to apply will appear on the home page
- Need special accommodation or a paper application? Email us at ParrisFellows@nc- 100.org or call 336.348.7980.
Applicants should have the following materials ready to attach to their application:
- (1) Letter of Recommendation
- (1) 2022-2023 Final Report Card
- One-page essay or 1-2 minute video essay
If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please email us at: ParrisFellows@nc-100.org.
Fellowship Important Dates: October 21st & October 28th are Mandatory for Participation
|August 28th||Parris Fellowship Open Enrollment begins – Now accepting applications|
|September 29th||Parris Fellowship Application Deadline|
|October 16th||Accepted Participants Notified|
|October 21s||Guardian/Participant Meet & Greet|
|October 28th||Saturday Academy – Session 1|